Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Seattle Mariners: Destined to be a bottom dweller or turning the corner?

Easily the greatest seven years in Mariners history were from 1995 to 2001. In that seven year span, the Mariners made it to the playoffs four times, made it to the ALCS three times, and had a combined record of 616-499 with a winning percentage of .552. If you take away that brief period in Mariners history, the Mariners are 1906-2362, with a winning percentage of .446. The question is: Was that a sign this team is capable of a dominant run, or was it just a fluke span of winning for a team that is destined to always be a loser? You take away those seven years, and the Mariners are suddenly the laughingstock of the league.

A lot is riding on not just this season, but the next season as well. It’s not so much about the wins and losses but more about how the young players develop. If most of the young players turn out to be busts, then our future is probably doomed yet again. If some of them turn out to be very capable everyday starters, then the possibility of another playoff berth looms large. The Mariners have had their turn over the past 10 years, switching GM’s and coaches like it’s a game of musical chairs. However, it is this group in the front office right now who will either carry us back to the playoffs or lose their jobs. I’m not just talking about current manager Wedge and general manager Zduriencik. I’m talking about the chairmen and guys even higher up, such as Chuck Armstrong and Howie Lincoln. They’ve got one last shot.

Boy oh boy I hope 1995-2001 wasn’t a fluke. This team, its current stadium, and its fans, are all here because of those years. If the Mariners fail to turn it around in the next few years, I fear the ballclub will lose a lot of its fans. They already are, as fan interest is dwindling due to the common trend of losing this past decade. But if they fail to turn the corner in a few years, even the diehards will say they’ve had it. Even I will say I’ve had it.

I’m giving the Mariners until 2015. That’s four years. I’ll be 26 when they play that year. If the Mariners don’t make it back to the playoffs by then and don’t look like they will soon, I will stop following them. Sure, I’ll root for them in my heart, but I won’t watch their games or buy merchandise or go to games. I refuse to support a loser. I refuse to constantly be tortured by poor front office decisions and poor on-field execution.

You have four years, Mariners. Four years to figure out if you’re going to shed that “cellar dweller” tag and become a contender. Four years to put the pieces together. Get it done, or I’m through.

No comments:

Post a Comment