Tuesday, July 9, 2019

My Top Ten Blog Posts that Didn't Age Well

I've been blogging for 9 years (almost a decade!) and if you do this long enough you can look back at your old posts and realize... uh oh.  A lot of them don't age well.  There are a lot of things I said I take back or that I was completely wrong on.  A lot of them sports related, but not all.  Here are my top 10 blog posts that didn't age well, from not so bad to the worst:

10. My 60 Day Insanity Workout, November 2010
I have tried the Insanity workout three times now and I still have yet to do all 60 days.  I also didn't post my Insanity Workout blog after Week 6, even though the workout is 9 weeks.

9. These Seahawks could stand to learn something from the Bengals, October 2011
Well the Bengals did remain a fairly decent time for a while, but it's what I said about the Hawks that gets me.

"Earl Thomas, Red Bryant, David Hawthorne, Kam Chancellor, and KJ Wright all look to be part of this defense for years to come." - David Hawthorne and Red Bryant?  Not so much.

"Unfortunately, 2011 will be just one of those seasons for the Hawks. The team will likely finish 4-12 or 5-11." - Well, 7-9 isn't much better but I was definitely off.

8. Predictions for the Seahawks in 2012, August 2012
First off, I predicted the Hawks to go 9-7.  They went 11-5.  I also predicted Matt Flynn to lead the team in passing.  Oops.  I also predicted us to lose to the Bills, which we did not.

7. Current Seattle Mariners Issues, June 2012
In this I answered my own questions and let's just say some of  the time I should've said the opposite.  For the fences being moved in, I said "No" but they ended up getting moved in and helped the offense.  For if Felix should be traded, I said a resounding no with this image, when we probably should've traded him while he still had value.

6. American Idol Top 24 Predictions, February 2011
In the season Scotty McCreery won, I predicted him to get no higher than 9th.  Yikes.  In fact, when I made a predicted Top 12, he wasn't in it.  I also said Pia Toscano would get no higher than 11th.  She did get gypped, but not that badly.

5. Why Google and YouTube Suck, October 2012
I no longer think this, btw.  My default browser is Chrome, I use Gmail, and I even have a Google Pixel phone.  Here's some snippets:

"I am giving IE another chance.  Google Chrome pushed me too far, so I’m going to see if IE can do enough to pull me back in."  - Well I guess I gave them another chance but they couldn't win me over.

"I really believe that Bing is just as good (if not better) of a search engine than Google" - I mean, I still use Bing from time to time, but I find Google to overall provide me better results.

"Forget about me using Google as my regular search engine.  And now you can forget about me using Google Chrome anymore" - We all have to eat our own words at some point.

4. Top Ten Things I Am Looking Forward to Most in My Future, September 2010
Well, 5 of these still haven't happened 9 years later.  The ending to HIMYM was a letdown.  I at least live with Amanda now having moved out.  I've been to Hawaii.  The Seahawks won the Super Bowl.  But that's about it.  Still working on the job/house/family aspects.

3. The Seattle Mariners: Destined to be a bottom dweller or turning the corner?, March 2011
"I’m giving the Mariners until 2015. That’s four years. I’ll be 26 when they play that year. If the Mariners don’t make it back to the playoffs by then and don’t look like they will soon, I will stop following them."

Oops.  The year is 2019.  The Mariners are undergoing a rebuild (in other words, it doesn't look like they'll make the playoffs soon) and I am still following them.  I think it was because they gave me hope in 2016 and 2018, so I delayed it.  Now... well I feel like I'm giving them one last shot.

2. 2012 - My Year to Shine, September 2011
"I promise you this. I will give it my all next year to get back into school. I will go back to school"
"In 2012, I will do the Insanity workout yet again, and this time I will complete it, even if I get sick."
Oof.  This one stings.  I did neither.  I'm not proud of it.  I just could never figure out the right school for me.  I did try Insanity again.  I'm not sure why I didn't complete it.  But 2012 was far from my year to shine.  I hate looking back on this and realizing what I could have and should have done.

1. Current State of Seattle Sports, March 2010
One of my oldest blog posts also happens to be one of my worst predictions.  Here are some things that stand out from this:

"Speaking of Locker, he is not only expected to be the Pac-10 player of the year, but also a contendor for the Heismann Trophy"  -Yikes... plus the misspelling of "contender"

"Probably the team in the worst shape in Seattle is the Seahawks" - Yet they were the next to win a championship

"The team recently acquired Charlie Whitehurst,[...] the Seahawks front office and coaching staff predict him to the be the quarterback of the future" - He wasn't even the quarterback for a full season

"The Seattle Mariners have high hopes for their 2010 season. Newly acquired Cliff Lee, Chone Figgins, Casey Kotchman, and Milton Bradley hope to improve this team upon its surprising 2009 season."  - My word... Not one of those guys made a significant impact, at least positively.

"I expect the Mariners to be in the playoff hunt at least until late August and more than likely into September." - The Mariners lost 101 games and were already 10 games under .500 by the middle of May.

Yeah... that did not age well at all.  You just can't predict the future in any sport, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment